Do kids really need Yoga in their lives? The answer is YES and the reasons are many.
Children today live in a very fast-paced world. Between pressures from
school, extra curricular activities, their peers, parents, and society,
the hustle and bustle of every day life can quickly wear down on a
child’s inner peace and joy. Kids and family yoga programs are being increasingly implemented across the
United States as a result of the evidence produced from research. These
programs address stress and anxiety, promote social and emotional
learning, and physical and emotional health. These are all basic
requirements for readiness to learn and for a positive and healthy
There are many benefits to enjoy:
- Standing poses improve posture and strength.
- Balancing poses improve focus, concentration, strength, coordination and poise.
- Backbends stimulate the sympathetic nervous system and are invigorating.
- Forward bends stimulate the parasympathetic nervous system and are relaxing.
- Inversions and more difficult poses encourage practice and build strength and self-esteem.
- The Secret Garden aka DESSERT is a version of deep relaxation that
allows the body to assimilate all of the benefits of the Yoga practice.
In this still and quiet portion of class, kids are able to create a
special place in their minds where they feel peaceful, happy, and safe.
- Breathing practices are a great way to reduce stress and help with
focus and concentration.
- Meditation enhances calmness and clarity of the mind.
The cardiovascular activity included in KAY classes allows kids to
expend their energy in a healthy way and strengthens the cardiovascular
- The sense of play incorporated into KAY classes allows kids to let loose, be silly, and have fun.
- Music and dancing has therapeutic properties and teaches rhythm, tempo, and coordination.
- The principles of Yoga teach kids kindness, sharing, compassion,
mindfulness, awareness, and much more. Tools that will serve them for
the rest of their lives!